Las Cumbres | Los Alamos, CA
1. What did you want to be when you were young?
I’m pretty sure I wanted to be a firetruck. I have to say cowboy was definitely high on my list too. Young me would probably be disappointed that I didn’t grow up to be a firetruck, but happy that I did become a cowboy.
2. WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST ACCOMPLISHMENT ON THE RANCH?
There is one section on the ranch where succession has been advancing really smoothly. The soil smells amazing. I like to take people there because smelling healthy soil has a physiological impact on your brain that literally makes you happier – it’s awesome!
3. WHAT MOTTO DO YOU LIVE BY?
If you’re doing it rough, you’re doing it wrong!
4. What do you wish people knew about farming?
I wish people knew the influence their dollar has. We grow what they want, so if they ask for something that is regenerative and organic that is what we will grow. It’s wild to see how much power the dollar has on your community!
5. What would you say to your younger self now?
I would say you better be ok with getting cow sh*t on your shoes a surprising amount a week!