In the Spring of 2013, Ryland Engelhart, Co-Owner of Cafe Gratitude, heard about soil as a solution to climate change from Graeme Sait, a farming educator, at a conference in New Zealand.
Ryland learned that building healthy soil has the miraculous ability to sequester carbon from the atmosphere, and knew in his heart it was a story that had to be shared with the world. And it’s not just carbon storage; the ways that soil stands to positively impact lives of billions worldwide are tangible and immediate: replenished water cycles, restored fertility, regenerated ecosystems. Ryland told Finian Makepeace, childhood friend and professional musician, and together they began telling others about the power of healthy soil. They inspired a group of friends: filmmakers, marketing experts, restaurant owners, gardeners, designers, soil geeks, and activists who began to meet once a week in Ryland’s living room, and Kiss the Ground was born.
Inspiring participation in global regeneration, starting with soil.
TOGETHER, WE CAN DO THIS!
TOGETHER, WE CAN DO THIS!
Ryland is inspired by HEALTHY SOIL and how it can balance the climate.
He tells Finian.
They share it with friends.
First meeting with City Hall of Los Angeles
Pop up garden in Venice, CA where
Kiss the Ground begins to share soil
with the community
Kiss the Ground is founded
- Help write the language for LA waste hauler bill
- Break ground on permanent Kiss the Ground garden in Venice
Kiss the Ground becomes 501c3 nonprofit
Hosts healthy soils meeting in
Sacramento with NRCS, CDFA, RCD’s
Co-sponsor and presenter at G3’s Soil
Conference in Los Angeles
Present at Marianne Williamsons’s
Sister Giant Conference
Present at Soil Not Oil Conference
with Organic Consumers Association
- Attends founding meeting of Regeneration International
- Begin work on Kiss the Ground documentary
The Soil Story campaign launches-
400,000 views and 21,000 signatures
gathered for CA Healthy Soils Act
- Present Savory International Conference
- The Soil Story Nominated for Best Animated short at Environmental Media Awards
Present at Depak Chopra’s Sages and
Present at National Heirloom Expo
Storytelling team releasing regular weekly media content.
Present at COP22 Marakesh and
Summit at Sea
Kiss the Ground
book deal signed with
Simon and Schuster
Keynote at US Composting Council
Expo West: panel + film screening,
key strategic partner lunch in
Presentation Earth X Texas
(worlds largest Eartday)
Launched The Compost Story
The Soil Story at Areday film festival
Presentations at Heirloom Festival and
soil Not Oil.
- Launched pilot program for The Soil Story Curriculum
- Supported and guided Summit DTLA to base there food program around Regenerative Agriculture
- Engaged Tom Brady and Gisle Bunchon in being a Voice for Kiss The Ground
Co-Launched Kiss The Ground the
book – Best seller on 4 categories on
Ian Somerhalder signs on as
Kiss the Ground Ambassador
- Lauren at Food Tank Summit
- Dr. Bronner’s bottle labels include messaging for Kiss the Ground