Did you know that building healthy soils on a global scale is one of the best ways to draw down enough carbon to prevent a catastrophic climate crisis? ―And carbon storage isn’t soil’s only superpower; the ways that soil stands to positively impact the lives of billions worldwide are tangible and immediate: replenished water cycles, restored fertility, and regenerated ecosystems. What’s not to love?
Whether you decide to grow a plant for the first time, advocate for the The Soil Story Curriculum at your children’s school, start composting, or are ready to become an official Soil Advocate, join us in showing a little love for the miraculous superhero beneath our feet every day!
Thank you for joining us on the journey to regenerate the planet, starting with soil. Together, we can do this!
How to show the soil some love:
- Support your local farmers market. Ask your farmer to tell you about how they care for the soil and ask them about touring their farm —this is also a great activity for kiddos!
- Grow a plant. Start with one, then usually it will become two or three and soon you’ll be a gardener!
- Grow your own food. Click here to learn how to create your own Regenerative Garden in your backyard.
- Compost at home. —Because food waste is food for the soil that grows your food! Learn more about how cool composting is via The Compost Story.
- Watch the Soil Story. Learn & spread the word about soil’s potential to sequester carbon by watching and sharing Kiss the Ground’s The Soil Story.
- Host a dinner. Grab Kiss the Ground’s Free Purchasing Guide and some friends and make a meal from local farms building healthy soil. Take it one step further and read “Kiss the Ground Book” to deep dive into how the food you eat can help heal the planet!
- Wear clothes grown by farmers sequestering carbon and caring for their soils. Learn more about Fibershed, an innovative organization developing regional fiber systems that build soil & protect the health of our biosphere.
- Advocate for eco-literacy. Download Kiss the Ground’s Free Soil Story Middle School Curriculum and share with the children, teachers, parents, and administrators in your community!
- Become a Soil Advocate! Learn how to powerfully present the topics of soil health and regenerative agriculture as solutions to climate change, water scarcity, and feeding the world. —We also invite you to download the Soil Health Communications Tool Kit, from the Sustainable Food Lab that connects the importance of soil health to business, identifies best practices and showcases private sector actions.
- Become a Kiss the Ground Member! As a Kiss the Ground Member, your monthly donations ensure that participation in the movement towards global regeneration is accessible to EVERYONE. You are making it possible for us to reach our goal to train 5,000 farmers and 25,000 leaders by 2025 through educational scholarships for farmers seeking to transition to regenerative agriculture, scholarships to our leadership courses, and the creation and accessibility of inspiring and easy to understand open-source content and resources about soil and regenerative agriculture.
And some love for our friends...
American Farmland Trust
Bionutrient Food Association
Carbon Cycle Institute
Center for Food Safety
Center for Ecoliteracy
Catholic Relief Service
Center for No-till Agriculture
Chico State Regenerative Agriculture Initiative
Community Environmental Council
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations
Marin Carbon Project
Organic Investment Cooperative
Organic Consumers Association
Point Blue Conservation Science
Regenerative Organic Certification
Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture
Soil Health Academy
White Buffalo Land Trust
Become a Soil Advocate
We provide training, tools and support to those inspired by regenerative agriculture and healthy soils to become soil advocates. Winter Session begins on January 22, 2019